[Air-L] AoIR and Facebook

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Thu Oct 25 20:27:01 PDT 2007

> banquet of everyone in Canada hats!), etc.  Seems to me there's been a
> hearty effort to continue the camaraderie of the conf via Facebook in
> ways I half-heartedly described as diasporic this morning -- the
> conference is repeatedly described as a "home" and, once apart, Facebook
> seems to be the venue of choice for keeping the social dimensions of
> those connections active. Meanwhile, and surely relatedly, the AoIR
> facebook group just topped 800 members.

I think that a significant number of us "young uns" are now not so
strongly feeling the need to have other disciplinary homes, at all -- AoIR
is a pretty nice "home base", and furthermore, a rather nice family too.

[I just came from a funeral, so am hyperaware of family right now.  AoIR
folks are so comforting...]

--e