[Air-L] Fwd: ::fc-announce:: Second Life Architecture Awards

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Oct 19 07:30:08 PDT 2007

Begin forwarded message:

> From: ANAT Communications <communicate at anat.org.au>
> Date: October 19, 2007 12:30:50 AM PDT (CA)
> To: Announce <announce at fibreculture.org>
> Subject: ::fc-announce:: Second Life Architecture Awards
>
> Media Release
>
> Second Life Architecture Awards
>
> The constructed architectural spaces of Second Life share a
> commonality
> with the exotic invisible cities of Italo Calvino. They are at once
> familiar yet completely otherworldly: inverted, fantastical,
> corrupted,
> baroque and barren, unexpected, startling and compellingly seductive.
> They are both our present and our future.
>
> In September this year Dr Melinda Rackham, ANAT's Director and 3D
> world
> author and theorist, was invited to join a 6 member international Jury
> assessing the Annual Second Life Architecture & Design Competition, a
> first of its kind, held at the 2007 Ars Electronica Festival in
> Austria.
>
> The jury deliberated over the 126 submissions before a live
> audience at
> the Architekturforum Linz, while being simultaneously streamed into
> Second Life. Four outstanding projects, that took advantage of both
> the
> artistic and technical possibilities afforded by Second Life were
> selected as finalists:
>
> · Berliner Tanja Meyle's "Living Cloud", is a semitransparent cloud
> that travels with her and provides privacy and sanctuary, a consistent
> need for an avatar in Second Life. The cloud surrounding her avatar
> Creatina Ferraris is not only a transportable house; its variability
> brings in an association with the idea that the house is just an
> extension of the body of the person who inhabits it.
>
> · From San Francisco, DC Spensley creates "Full Immersion
> Hyperformalism" an usual and innovative user interface, constructed to
> allow an avatar to view a fine art exhibition. This structure is
> defined as "less a building than a spatial interface containing
> numerous abstracted and interactive possibilities".
>
> · Adam Nash's "17 Unsung Songs" allows avatars to be physically
> immersed in interactive sound scapes, constructions that create a
> tension within their Australian parkland environment. Here audiovisual
> elements undergo spatial modification via avatar interaction giving
> rise to a new aesthetic and sensory spatial construct.
>
> · Conceptually and technically innovative is "White Noise", a work
> from
> Vienna based Max Moswitzer. This experiment in non-human architecture
> utilises the detritus of Second Life, freebie objects such as teddy
> bears and discarded skateboards, to construct a dazzling white
> snow-palace. This mishmashed building enfolds on multiple levels of
> detail and evokes the perfect domicile for the realm of Second Life.
>
> The selected projects are presented online (www.sl-award.com) where
> [...]

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal