[Air-L] Dr Watson I Don't Presume

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 24 13:57:50 PDT 2007

1. I think this list always needs to make a choice about whether to stay
on topic (Internet Research -- both words are germane) or wander way off
topic. (Dr. Watson). I value it for the former, and don't think this is
the place for a general bull session. If others persist, I know that I
will not want to read or participate, as many others have decided not to
do before. (Step back and analyze who are the active published scholars in
journals such as JCMC, ICS, NM&S, Info Sty, etc -- and who contributes
here.)

2. But, as long as you got me going, to give my .02 re Watson, the world
is filled with scientists (and politicians) making ex cathedra
pronouncements about the things they don't know much about. Just like some
professors I know;-)

YMMV,

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Centre for Urban & Community Studies           University of Toronto
  455 Spadina Avenue          Room 418          Toronto Canada M5S 2G8
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-7162
  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
         Elvis wouldn't be singing "Return to Sender" these days