[Air-L] Help with Facebook Research

Richard Smith smith at sfu.ca
Wed Oct 3 14:57:46 PDT 2007

Rather than fight the system, why not do your research from *inside*
facebook. Many people are already building social networking analysis
tools as facebook aps, some with amazing visualization:

	http://sfu.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=2895690559&b&ref=pd

If one of these tools doesn't do what you need, contact the
developers (many of them are students) and see if you can realize
your objectives using the facebook API.

It isn't necessarily the case that you will come into conflict with
the terms of service and it isn't necessarily the case that your
research question can't be answered by a facebook app. I'd venture to
guess that you can do what you want, a lot easier than you imagine,
by working with facebook and facebook developers rather than trying
to "scrape" or "spider" anything.

...r