[Air-L] Fwd: [IP] AT&T says there is no duopoly, net neutrality is bad

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Oct 24 21:26:55 PDT 2007

Begin forwarded message:

> From: David Farber <dave at farber.net>
> Date: October 24, 2007 9:06:13 PM CDT
> To: ip at v2.listbox.com
> Subject: [IP] AT&T says there is no duopoly, net neutrality is bad
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: dewayne at warpspeed.com (Dewayne Hendricks)
> Date: October 24, 2007 6:09:24 PM EDT
> To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy at warpspeed.com>
> Subject: [Dewayne-Net] AT&T says there is no duopoly, net
> neutrality is bad
>
> [Note:  I attended the MW conference yesterday and saw Cicconi's
> performance.  Simply amazing!  He just kept throwing out one zinger
> after another.  DLH]
>
> POSTED AT 9:49 AM ON OCTOBER 23, 2007
>
> Blogging from the 2007 MW conference: AT&T says there is no
> duopoly, net neutrality is bad
> <http://www.muniwireless.com/article/articleview/6560/1/23>
>
> It's Day 2 of the Muniwireless Silicon Valley Conference and they
> have an executive from AT&T talking about municipal wireless networks.
>
> AT&T has not changed its tune. It is still against cities using
> public funds to compete with private enterprise and believes that
> communications should be left up to private firms like AT&T.
>
> James Cicconi, Senior Executive VP Legislative and External Affairs
> for AT&T claims that there is no duopoly and there is enough
> competition in the market for telecommunications services, so
> cities should stay out.
>
> What is AT&T's position on net neutrality?
>
> Net neutrality is a challenge for all companies. You spend billions
> to deploy your assets and net neutrality means someone telling you
> what you can do with your assets - what you can charge, tiers of
> service, etc.
>
> "All bits should be treated equal" is a problem for network
> engineers because one bit is porn another bit is heart surgery,
> another is email, yet another is voice, another is spam. That
> everything should be moved equally end to end is ludicrous. It's a
> more costly way to do things. It's not efficient, according to AT&T.
>
> AT&T cannot build and maintain assets quickly enough to meet the
> demand. They are spending $19 billion this year. Some of the demand
> is driven by video. What happens when people start delivering high
> definition film? They can't build networks fast enough! What's the
> answer? Effective traffic management.
>
> The antitrust laws can deal with the problems of net neutrality
> (side note: unfortunately these are not being enforced today). Why
> should AT&T want to degrade traffic? They will go to someone else
> (side note again: in a duopoly, you've got Comcast which has been
> blocking Bittorent traffic).
>
> - - - - -
>
> Note: Given what I have heard here today, the only solution here is
> structural separation.

> Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/=now
> RSS Feed: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/247/

Jeremy Hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

Words are things; and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a
thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions,
think. --Byron