[Air-L] [AIR8] Last words...

Richard Smith smith at sfu.ca
Sat Oct 20 14:17:57 PDT 2007

Dear AIRhearts,

I am sure these won't be my LAST last words, but I just wanted to say
how honoured and proud I am to have been your host here in Vancouver.
It is like having a party at your home and seeing the guests enjoying
themselves and going away with the fun that they have created between
themselves. The magic of co-presence, perhaps. I have a glow on.

LUNCH
The conference has gone very well - with the exception of the
weather, I'm afraid - and in almost every case where something wasn't
quite right it was a simple thing that I had forgotten or not thought
about (e.g., titles for the keynote speakers!). Your staying power
(almost all of the Saturday afternoon sessions are either full or
half full) is a credit to your dedication to the field and each
other, even if it is stressing my catering predictive powers (I am
sorry if you didn't get a sandwich at lunch). While your kind words
have been much appreciated, I am also quite happy to hear about
things that HAVEN'T gone well and will try to fix anything I can.

RECYCLING
I hope you will all recycle your badge holders and bags. I don't
imagine that everyone will do so, but everyone who does reduces our
planetary impact a little bit. I have chosen "year neutral" text on
the bags, so you can do even better than recycling by reusing it at
next year's conference. We will be bundling the ones we collect up
and sending them to Copenhagen, and I hope that a "last year's badge/
bag" becomes a badge of honour (ahem) in future conferences. Perhaps
we can "create a tradition" in this way.

TRAVEL
Have a safe trip home. Let me know if there is anything I can do to
help you in your departure/travel plans. I shall be here in the
building until at least 6pm.

...r

--
Richard Smith, Professor, School of Communication
Simon Fraser University, 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, CANADA