[Air-L] iCS & open access etc (c.f. Willinsky AoIR keynote)

Ben Anderson benander at essex.ac.uk
Sat Oct 20 14:50:02 PDT 2007

<declaration of interest>
I review for iCS and have published in it and I was just in a bar in
Downtown Vancouver with one of iCS's co-editors (Brian Loader) who
missed the keynote as he had to write an iCS editorial this morning!
</declaration of interest>

For those not at AoIR Axel Bruns has already blogged a comprehensive
note on the talk content:

http://snurb.info/node/738

(which perhaps underplays the extent to which John used iCS as a
'straw man')

I have published a number of pieces via Taylor & Francis (e.g. via
Routledge books, iCS) and Wiley which have used the JISC/SURF
copyright model. This does NOT transfer copyright to the publisher
but gives them a non-exclusive license to publish and gives the
author a default right to deposit in an institutional archive
IMMEDIATELY ON PUBLICATION or (if need be) after an agreed period
(maximum of 6 months). Ok, so they still keep the revenue but...

I would strongly encourage all authors to push their publishers to
use this model, many are moving towards it and will listen if you
make the request. Publishers will point out that in not transferring
copyright it is then up to you (or your institution) to pursue
breaches of copyright. I think we all have to make a judgement on
cost/benefit of that.

If the first publisher on your list does not listen, vote with your
feet.

More info (including a link to a template) here:

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/news/stories/2006/10/news_model_surf.aspx

http://copyrighttoolbox.surf.nl/copyrighttoolbox/

I'm aware that it is a UK/NL effort and may not transfer - or perhaps
it will?

Ben

--
http://chimeraweb.essex.ac.uk/tasc