[Air-L] Virtual Community of Practice Essential Bibliography

Ben Spigel spigel.1 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 29 07:52:52 PDT 2007

I don't have a full bibliography of VCoPs, but in terms of recent
research, I'd suggest:

a working paper by Grabher and Maintz (2006) out of the Center on
Organizational Innovation called "Learning  in Personal Networks:
Collaborative Knowledge Production in Virtual Forums"

There are also two papers out of the 3rd International Conference on
Communities and Technologies that went on this summer that are worth
looking at:
Wolf's "Communities of Practice in MMORPGs: An Entry Point into Addiction"

and Zhang's Trust in Electronic Networks of Practice: An Integrative Model"

I also have a paper under review on the topic of VCoPs among early
Linux developers, but we won't know if that's worth reading until the
reviewers get back to me.

Ben Spigel
Graduate Student
Department of Geography