[Air-L] Researchers as new eyes on public data

Gilbert B. Rodman gbrodman at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 3 12:28:36 PDT 2007

Three things:

(1)  You're still dodging Lois' question -- i.e., what's specifically
harmful about researcher access that doesn't factor into the harm done
by other people's access?  The person whose words have been "repackaged"
in "harmful" ways isn't going to feel less harmed depending on whether
the "repackager" was allegedly bound by "institutionalized ethics" or not.

(2)  It's a side issue whether they actually live up to such an ethic or
not, but I suspect most journalists and preachers and politicians would
certainly claim that they are "responsible to [an] institutionalized
ethic" of one sort or another.

(3)  Not all researchers are social scientists.  Unless, of course,
you're trying to claim that folks who work in the arts or the humanities
are somehow not really researchers.

cheers
gil