[Air-L] digital media/game studies job

qCentral/Mary L. Gray qcentral at indiana.edu
Mon Sep 10 16:10:22 PDT 2007

Hi there,

*Please* circulate (and please feel free to contact me if you have
any questions or folks to recommend for the position).

best,
Mary
________________________
Mary L. Gray, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication and Culture
Affiliate Faculty
Gender Studies Department and American Studies Program
Indiana University
800 East 3rd Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
ph. 812/855.4379
fx.  812/855.6014
email: mLg at indiana.edu
http://www.indiana.edu/~qcentral

--------------
Assistant Professor in Digital Media Studies

The Department of Communication and Culture at Indiana University
invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position
in digital media studies to begin Fall 2008. We seek an individual
with expertise in critical approaches to digital media to join an
innovative, interdisciplinary program that includes media studies,
ethnography and performance studies, and rhetoric and public culture.
While we invite candidates from a wide range of disciplinary
backgrounds, we encourage applicants involved in research on the
cultural, political, and communicative aspects of online games and in
the broader field of digital game studies. Research may involve the
formal qualities of digital games, their social and political
dimensions, as well as questions of genre, narrative, and history.
Applicants should be prepared to discuss the role that digital media
play in shaping perceptions of history and culture, in forging
individual and collective identities, and in mediating social change.
Applicants are expected to have a strong research agenda and a
commitment to excellence in teaching. Preference will be given to
candidates who have their Ph.D. in hand by the date of appointment.
Applicants should send a letter of application, curriculum vitae,
writing sample, and three letters of recommendation.  Review of
applications will begin on November 16, 2007. Address applications
to: Christopher Anderson, Chair, Digital Media Studies Search,
Department of Communication and Culture, 800 East Third St., Indiana
University, Bloomington IN 47405.

Indiana University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer and has a strong commitment to the principle of diversity in
all areas. We are especially interested in receiving applications
from a broad spectrum of scholars, including women, members of racial
and ethnic minorities, and disabled individuals.