[Air-L] Ethics considerations in usage of skype for telephone interviews

Ben Anderson benander at essex.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 01:41:45 PDT 2007

One of my grad students used skype as it made it very easy to record
the interviews (and was cheaper too of course - some of his
interviewees were non-UK based). He then converted them to MP3s so he
could replay them on iTunes & his ipod to transcribe (& reflect/
cogitate).

We could think of no additional ethical considerations but did find
that mp3 files have a habit of leaking - e.g. when iTunes auto-scans
your laptop and pulls them all into your music library which then
happens to be set to be shared on your local network... And also
tells iLike & last.fm which interviews you are currently listening to/
transcribing. A bit problematic when the title of the track is the
interviewee's name...

So its important to label them with meaningless identifiers... and
keep them away from things like iTunes.

On 14 Sep 2007, at 08:12, Jeremy Depauw wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> After having been sensibilzed by Nick Jankowski about ethics in Online
> research at the ECREA Summer School, I would like to ask a question to
> experienced scholars. I am considering to use skype to achieve
> telephone interviews in the course of my fieldwork, for my phd thesis.
>
> May I consider Skype as yet-another telephonic device or do I have to
> achieve a deeper reflection regarding ethics? I am not pretty sure of
> all challenges involved in IP telephony, especially as I am about to
> interview competitive intelligence managers.

----
Dr Ben Anderson
Deputy Director,
Chimera, the Institute for Social and Technical Research
University of Essex
+44 (0) 7710 187 806
rss: http://istr.wordpress.com/feed
web: http://www.essex.ac.uk/chimera/