[Air-L] Wikipedia editing in the Washington Post

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 18 13:48:32 PDT 2007

GIven the WikiInterest in this list, fyi:

There is a reasonable article in a very recent Washington Post about edit
wars in Wikipedia, including my WikiFriend Tina Voz (Tvoz) talking about
her editing interactions re Republican presidential hopeful Fred Thompson,
etc. (Tina outed herself in the article, so I am not giving away an
secrets). Another recent editwar about Fred had to do with mentioning the
sizable age gap between Fred and his wife, and the extent to which her
physical appearance is relevant (i.e., what picture to show).

On Wikipedia, Debating 2008 Hopefuls' Every Facet - washingtonpost.com
Washington Post Staff Writer Monday, September 17, 2007; Page A01. On Sen.
John McCain's Wikipedia entry, the argument has been over whether he is a
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/16/AR2007091601699.html?nav=rss_email/components

PS: While I am at, two Wikipedia articles need a lot of upgrading by
people more knowledgeable than me:

Virtual Community
Social Network Service (e.g., Facebook)

Besides the thinness of the discussion, both tend to be magnets for
promoters of obscure social-software services.

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Centre for Urban & Community Studies           University of Toronto
  455 Spadina Avenue          Room 418          Toronto Canada M5S 2G8
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-7162
  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
         Elvis wouldn't be singing "Return to Sender" these days