[Air-L] Researchers as new eyes on public data

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Mon Sep 3 19:17:17 PDT 2007

Quoting Ed Lamoureux <ell at bumail.bradley.edu>:

> " journalists, politicians, preachers, bloggers,"  are NOT social
> scientific researchers responsible to that institutionalized ethic.
> They don't promise their universities (and the government and society
> in general) to protect human subjects. You are right, they can do
> anything they darn well please (within the confines of the ethics of
> their genre). We cannot. We promise to do better. And when we don't,
> we compromise the ability of future researchers to get willing
> subjects. We live and work in the speech act game called "social
> science research." It is bound by constraints that don't exit in some
> other language games.

I feel that this paragraph needs separate discussion, so I'm addressing
most of it here rather then in my previous post.  The underlying issues
here disturb me as much and probably more than those I see underlying
my original question.

Setting the specifics of online research ethics aside for a second, why
would one see social science researchers as inherently more "ethical"
than "journalists, politicians, preachers"?  Why would "bloggers" be
lumped unilaterally with these three professions?  Lots of
professionals, including academics blog...many chronicle their personal
lives and say little if anything about their professional work.

If I were to take this paragraph on face value it appears that social
science researchers don't need professional level or disciplinary level
ethical statements because our ethics would transcend any such
document...I guess our ethics should be so high that both natural and
academic language cannot encompass them.

The paragraph also implies that there is a one-size-fits-all answer
that only unethical researchers would dispute - an issues that I
commented on a couple of times in the previous ethics thread.  Those
that worked on the original AoIR Ethics Statement had a significant
mountain to climb to significantly encompass online research in one
document, since "online research" is by no means a single discipline or
method.

Personally, I work at cross-roads between a variety of disciplines
including but not limited to - information science (often considered a
non-social science), linguistics, cultural anthropology, communication,
education, media studies, and performance studies (also often
considered a non-social science).  Products of my research will range
from classroom papers, to paper-only journals and edited volumes, as
well as digital publications, and on to performance pieces.  I am a
qualitative researcher whose work ranges from the more number heavy,
statistical, end of the continuum all the way to autoethnographic work
on the other.  I work with adult subjects (over 25 years of age),
emerging adulthood (20-25) subjects, and adolescents (ages 10 -19).

I find it impossible to see how one research ethics statement or any
single inherent ethical belief system can encompass all of my research
with these diverse variables...and of course this list doesn't begin to
capture the "ethical" and legal issues those of us who do geographical
boundary spanning must at least consider when we design our studies.
Legal systems vary around the world, as do ethical systems.

I completely agree that when we do research badly we may potentially
injure the research that comes after us.  However in considering those
future researchers, as well as our current participants, we need to be
open to both the positives and negatives of any research
project...including "protection" of participants, informed consent, and
research design.

I readily admit that I have an underlying belief that shows through all
of my discussion.  My belief is that by requiring "informed consent"
for all social science research that we would limit researchers
participant pools to those that will volunteer for a study.  Again that
takes me very close to experimental research.  And while there is
nothing at all wrong with experimental research as a method, I don't
believe it gets us to the real hows and whys of human behavior.  I am
an explanatory researcher, without the ability to study "in the wild" I
might as well pack up my toys and go home.

Finally, I believe that we need to separate "ethical" discussions from
"legal" ones.  Ethics underly laws, or at least we hope they do.  The
one thing we can be sure of is that legal systems lag behind the
cultural changes that drive and are driven by changes in ethical
frameworks.  As educated people we should consider both and act as our
good judgment, and the judgment of our peers through vetting, advises
us to do...based on the specifics of our research environments, our
methods, our subjects, and our professional spheres.  In my world there
is on one-size-fits-all or even -most...of course that is true for most
of my gray world not just my research life.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com