[Air-L] Internet usage

Alecea Standlee stan0504 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 13:37:25 PDT 2007

Hey all,
I am doing some preliminary research on the impact of the Internet on identity formation. I am particularly interested in how heavy users i.e. people who spend a  lot of time online for work purposes (like many of us on this listserv!) think the internet has impacted their social networks and personal identity. I will be sending out an informal open ended survey to get some preliminary observations. If anyone would be interested in contributing please let me know and I will forward the survey to you in the next week or so.

Thanks,
Alecea Standlee
Syracuse University

Scott MacLeod <helianth at gmail.com> wrote: Greetings,

I'm teaching a "Society and Information Technology
in Second Life" course again this fall in the amphitheater
on Berkman island on Wednesday evenings from 7:00 - 9 ET, 1600-1800 SLT :
http://socinfotech.pbwiki.edu. This course draws on long time Berkeley
Professor Manuel Castells' examination of the Network Society, and
offers ways to analyze significant aspects of the information
technology revolution.

In this evening's class, we'll finish examining what gave rise to the
information technology revolution - microelectronics, computers, and
telecommunications - and then begin to look at the history of the
Internet.

Watch the videos linked to the wiki above, and let me know if you
would like me to send you some of the readings for this week and next,
mentioned below.

Second Life shapes the possibility for rich discussion - and
at-large participation is welcome - so come and join this
conversation, tonight and subsequently.

See you in-world,
Scott

Manuel Castells, "The Rise of the Network Society," 2nd edition,
Oxford: Blackwell, 2000, Chapter 1: "The Information Technology
Revolution," pp. 28- 76.

Janet Abbate,  "Inventing the Internet," Cambridge: MIT Press, 1999,
pages 1-6, 44-81, and 181-220.

--

http://scottmacleod.com

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged
and confidential.  If the reader of this email message is not the
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you
have received this email in error, please notify the sender and
destroy/delete all copies of the transmittal.  Thank you.

http://www.aoir.org/