[Air-L] Disturbing trends in social networking

Alex Halavais alex at halavais.net
Wed Sep 12 17:56:04 PDT 2007

On 9/12/07, Michael Zimmer <michael.zimmer at nyu.edu> wrote:
> Of course, intelligence operatives reportedly have their own sns: A-
> Space
> <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2178210,00.asp>

And their own wikipedia: Intellipedia.

I spent a couple days this summer at the Director of National
Intelligence's OSI conference. (Blog posts here:
http://alex.halavais.net/category/intelligence/ ) While it is true
that spies tend to have a secretive streak--who'd have thought!--it is
essentially a knowledge-producing organization, and unless you are
working in the clandestine services, you can generally say where you
work. Many *choose* not to, because it raises questions that probably
cannot be answered, but I'm guessing that many of us have had grad
students who have worked for the intelligence services or contractors
in some capacity.

As an aside, at that conference several of the speakers noted that
their one of their greatest interests for recruiting these days is for
virtual ethnographers...

--
//
// This email is