[Air-L] Disturbing trends in social networking

Alexis Turner subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Thu Sep 13 09:59:50 PDT 2007

Michael, as Elijah pointed out, these people may just be analysts and
contractors sitting
in cubicles, but it doesn't mean they don't have very high level security
clearances.  I'm sorry, perhaps I'm being a little naive in my shock?  But
having lived in DC for several years and having driven regularly by buildings
with all their windows bricked up (keep an eye out next time you drive around -
it's really rather fascinating to see where these places occur), I am still
flabbergasted that analysts would be so careless with their information.

Incidentally, Elijah & Michael, my understanding of contractors is that while
they do a wide variety of jobs, plenty of them are employed as analysts and work in the
same building rubbing shoulders with the "real" analysts.  I certainly found
plenty of linkedin profiles that actually used the words "intelligence analyst"
as a job descriptor.  Fakesters?  Perhaps.  But I kind of doubt it.

As to Alex's comment involving grad students likely being involved in this work
- sure, that's to be expected.  But do you actually know which ones are doing
it, or are you left to speculate?  My shock is not that they exist, but that
they've "outed" themselves, as it were.

To Heather, who pointed out that you cannot access their full network -
no, you can't.  But many of the individuals had links to their personal
webpages, where there is further information on their private lives and
associates.  And using the combination of a name and city as found on linkedin
is enough to take a short trip to whitepages.com.  I can further envision a
simple phishing attack using that information, whereby a person creates a fake
linkedin profile matching the target's associate and requests to be added to
their "friend's" network.  Voila.  Now they have access to a larger pool of
names.

Sorry.  I still find it an unsettling, though perversely fascinating, use of
social networking.
-Alexis