[Air-L] effect of Internet on paper consumption?

Glenn Pass G.Pass at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Sun Sep 30 20:41:08 PDT 2007

Have you looked at The Myth of the Paperless Office (2001) by Abigail
Sellen and Richard Harper. There is a review with publication details at
http://www.techsoc.com/paperless.htm

I looked at this a little while ago so can't remember the extent to
which the influence of the internet, in particular, is examined. I do
remember the book investigated the relationship between the development
of information management technologies and the growth in paper use. To
quote from the review above:

"Figures show an almost linear increase in paper use in recent decades:
the introduction of new technology does not get rid of paper; it shifts
the ways in which it is used."

There were tables and charts depicting the use of timber for paper
products over the past couple decades, although being published in 2001
there aren't recent figures.

I hope this is of some use.

Glenn

Glenn Pass