[Air-L] Quechup invites....beware

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Sep 4 09:42:25 PDT 2007

I'm hearing reports that these Quechup invites are a phishing expedition in
disguise, or at least a VERY bad way of creating social networking.  So I'm
passing this along as an FYI given that I just saw one such invite hit the
AOIR listserve:

According to one report,

http://mashable.com/2007/09/02/quechup/

" The issue lies with their ³check for friends² form: during signup you¹re
asked to enter your email address and password to see whether any of your
friends are already on the service. Enter the password, however, and it will
proceed to mail all your contacts without asking permission. This has led to
many users issuing apologies to their friends for ³spamming² them
inadvertently. Hopefully the bad PR on this one will force them to change
the system."

Add'l coverage:

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/09/spam_alert_just_say_no_to_q
uechup_1.html