[Air-L] a personal history of computing stuff

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Sep 8 14:25:32 PDT 2007

It sure ain't definitive, but here's my Personal History of HCI.
Part is in the Encyclopedia of HCI, but given I span 43 years, they
couldn't fit it all;-)

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/publications/hci_timeline/timeline-hci.htm

It's also online in Bruce Damer's wonderful Digibarn Museum site.

http://www.digibarn.com/friends/barry-wellman/index.html

I give this timeline to my students the first day of class (yikes,
Monday!), to counterbalance the "It all started with the Macbook"
mentality.

Hoping that some compulsive soul will someday provide pix and links to all
of the equipment mentioned.

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Centre for Urban & Community Studies           University of Toronto
  455 Spadina Avenue          Room 418          Toronto Canada M5S 2G8
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-7162
  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
         Elvis wouldn't be singing "Return to Sender" these days