[Air-L] Researchers as new eyes on public data

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Mon Sep 3 10:52:30 PDT 2007

Quoting Marcela Musgrove <mmusgrove at gmail.com>:

> I personally don't think they are, but could see it as potentially
> being exploitative since the researcher is usually getting paid or
> amassing their own reputation points and would probably not be
> rewarding the online subject.

Does the transaction have to be one-to-one or might referred reward
offset the concern?  I ask because, folks in publicly available sites
often gain and lose reputation points on the local system, of course
the reputation systems - academic and say chatroom or blog - are not
the exact same systems.  I don't doubt that on some of the adolescent
sites reputation points might be granted for the participant having
been cited or quoted in a published paper.  I believe there are
positives as well as negative aspects of being a participant in a
study...we just tend to gravitate toward the negatives more
easily...it's a human-being thing.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com