[Air-L] internet history timeline

Emma Duke-Williams emma.dukewilliams at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 06:42:19 PDT 2007

On 07/09/2007, smork at itu.dk <smork at itu.dk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a good history timeline of the internet. I've googled and
> I find the result bad. Most of them end in the nineties and Hobbes only
> goes to 2004. They also seem very eclectic and too centered on the US. Do
> any of you know of a good timeline? What I'm specifically looking for is
> examples of companies buying up sites with user generated content, one
> example would be when google acquired the Deja archive of usenet.
>
> Best,
>
> Søren Mørk

I've just seen http://www.collectivate.net/journalisms/how-the-social-web-came-to-be-part1.html
- which was a link from Steven Downes' OL Daily email.

It's focussing on the "Social" web, but seems to have a reasonable
overview of the Internet. (Goes back to 1746, though it's actually
dated 1945-2002. Not yet seen part two)

Emma
--
New URL: Blog: http://userweb.port.ac.uk/~duke-wie/blog/