[Air-L] quotations on line

Zeynep Tufekci socnetres at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 13:34:16 PDT 2007

Hi Barry and all,

I did a Lexis search. I found a NYT article from 1980 that traces the quote
to a book,"The Writer's Quotation Book: A Literary Companion'' (Pushcart
Press, P.O. Box 845, Yonkers, N.Y. 10701). Below is an portion of the Lexis
entry.

-z

The New York Times
August 10, 1980, Sunday, Late City Final Edition
BOOK ENDS WRITERS ON WRITING

*BYLINE:* By Randolph Hogan

*SECTION:* Section 7; Page 35, Column 1; Book Review Desk

*LENGTH:* 1098 words

When the small Manhattan publisher Quick Fox needed a giveaway for the
recent American Booksellers Association convention, editor in chief James
Charlton, who has spent years collecting quotations on books and writing,
decided to gather them up and hand them out. The result was so popular that
the material was expanded into ''The Writer's Quotation Book: A Literary
Companion'' (Pushcart Press, P.O. Box 845, Yonkers, N.Y. 10701). Here's a
sampling:

Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at the blank sheet of paper until
the drops of blood form on your forehead. Gene Fowler