[Air-L] Literature wanted: what does it feel like to use a computer?

David Brake d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 02:36:44 PDT 2007

I presume there is literature out there taking a phenomenological
view of what using a computer feels like but I am not sure where to
start looking. I hope to use it to buttress a hunch I have about why
people seem to have trouble in managing public vs private space
online. My feeling is that its because typing stuff into a computer
just doesnt feel like you're addressing a large crowd at that moment
- it feels like you are talking to yourself (unless you are
addressing it to particular named other people who you can then
visualise). One can make a similar point about the long life of blog
postings. They feel conversational, not like having something
published and indexed.

Anyway given this example I hope you can see the kind of literature
which might help here. Any ideas? If not of texts directly about the
experience of using a computer then perhaps just the best literature
to apply to approach the subject generally. Schutz?

---
David Brake, Doctoral Student in Media and Communications, London
School of Economics & Political Science
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/study/
mPhilPhDMediaAndCommunications.htm>
Also see http://davidbrake.org/ (home page), http://blog.org/
(personal weblog) and http://get.to/lseblog (academic groupblog)
Author of Dealing With E-Mail - <http://davidbrake.org/
dealingwithemail/>
callto://DavidBrake (Skype.com's Instant Messenger and net phone)