[Air-L] open-source journals?

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sun Sep 30 09:48:39 PDT 2007

I received the note below, as perhaps many of you did.
It raised several questions:

1. They use the term Open Source, but I can't get into and modify or
comment on the articles (something I'd dearly love to do in some
journals). Isn't this really Open Access?

2. What's their business model? Suspicious guy that I am, I looked for
submission fees (couldn't find a mention) or advertiser-supported (ibid.).
Somebody has to pay for admin and editing costs. I doubt they will get
many library sales -- even the huge U of Toronto library basically says NO
NEW JOURNALS. And they don't seem to be supported by a non-profit willing
to absorb the costs.

No private emails please, but would appreciate reading the digested
comments.

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Centre for Urban & Community Studies           University of Toronto
  455 Spadina Avenue          Room 418          Toronto Canada M5S 2G8
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-7162
  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
         Elvis wouldn't be singing "Return to Sender" these days