[Air-L] Researchers as new eyes on public data

Marcela Musgrove mmusgrove at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 15:16:38 PDT 2007

On 9/3/07, Lois Ann Scheidt <lscheidt at indiana.edu> wrote:

> I don't doubt that on some of the adolescent
> sites reputation points might be granted for the participant having
> been cited or quoted in a published paper.

Have you seen this happen? Actually do people even show their
published papers to their participants when it's done?  If  you get
your picture and quote in the newspaper, it's something to cut out and
give to your mom, but with an obscure academic article where you're
usually anonymized, it seems like it'd be a "meh" unless the
researcher is particularly well-known.

In journalism, if someone is misrepresented, they have the option of
suing for libel or writing a furious letter to the editor, so I guess
hypothetically if someone was upset with the way a  researcher
represented them, they could always sue or write a letter to the
publication or university for them to investigate--has this happened?

Marcela