[Air-L] Researchers as new eyes on public data

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Mon Sep 3 18:33:20 PDT 2007

Journalists routinely "process" information before writing, and they
often present conclusions in their written work.  It is a LONG running
IRB discussion why they are exempt from Human Subjects rules...but they
are on the U.S. Federal level.  I understand that some universities are
looking at making changes locally, and if they do more than pilot a
requirement I will be watching closely.

In fact, I know of more than one case where a researcher/journalist
asked for and received IRB approval for a project and published about
"approved" and "unapproved" work from the same project.  The first was
done as a social scientist, the second as a journalist.  Is it ethical?
  Well I think that depends on how you look at issues like those we are
discussing here.

Ed, I find it to be an incomplete argument that we are held to a higher
standard then any of the other career paths you listed.  In fact, I
would almost bet that  at least people reading this list has held one
of those titles and been a social science researcher at the same time.
And many of us blog and do social science research at the same time.

As a blogger my work has been studied and used as data in
dissertations, and theses some with my permission some without.  Most
of these products are available in whole or in part as digital text
online.  So someone can search on either my given name or my blog's
name and eventually find these published works.

I can tell you truthfully that I have never received a notifiable
increase in visits to my blog after one is published.  But the day I
was "Feedster Feed of the Day," back in 2005, I exhausted my monthly
bandwidth by noon PST - in fact in two days I used as much bandwidth as
I had in the previous eleven months.  Was I asked if I wanted to be
included...no...I was not.  Did my inclusion have a cost to me...you
bet, I had to pay money to up my bandwidth for the month, and from then
forward as my readership grew.  Was I injured...well if you want to see
it that way, sure I was.  Of course I also see the positive side of
this as well...I got more readers and that was cool.

My point is that lots of other viewers have the power to cause much
more harm than anything I do with my research.  It's an issue of
"potential" harm first - and you plan to address all likely potentials
- and then you learn from mistakes and unexpected outcomes after...that
is the nature of social science research.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com