[Air-L] Update from your Internet Research 9.0 conf chair (registrations etc)

Lisbeth Klastrup klastrup at itu.dk
Tue Apr 22 02:18:30 PDT 2008

Hi all,
For those of you who got a paper accepted for the Internet Research 9.0
conference (aka AoiR 9) and/or are planning to attend it, I thought it
was about time to give you all a little update regarding the conference
planning, here from the organising committee here in Copenhagen,
Denmark. I plan to post a few more of these updates, as the conference
approaches.

Let me start by thanking program chair Brian Loader and all the track
directors for the wonderful and efficient work they have all been doing,
processing the paper submissions for the conference. There were a lot of
them, and a lot of them were very good and hence accepted, so we are
looking at what I think will be a very interesting, diverse and great
programme!

REGISTRATION?!!
I know a lot of you are wondering when and where it will be possible to
register for the conference. We are working on it, and we hope to have
it online at the http://conferences.aoir.org website in a not too far
future (talking max a few weeks, not months..). We wanted to integrate
workshops in the registration and we needed to get a good deal for our
conference banquet  in place(not easy, sadly), so that's some of things
that's been keeping us from putting it online already. If you have any
questions regarding the registration, for instance because you need to
apply for money with your institution soon, please write to the
conference email: <ir9conf at itu.dk>  and we will help you as best, we
can. Please do not hassle our hardworking program chair (Brian Loader)
with inquiries, he has enough on his plate as is!
- We will of course post to the list, as soon as the registration is online!

ACCOMMODATION AND CONFERENCE VENUE
Accommodation booking is _not_ a part of the registration, so you will
have to attend to that seperately - which will also give your more
freedom of choice. On the conference website, under the menu point
"Accommodation" (left-hand menu), we have listed three hotels, with
which we have made some good deals plus a very good central hostel (with
which you can also book rooms for 2-4 people). We recommend you try
booking with these as soon as possible. If you are wondering how close
or far these hotels or others are from the conference venue (the IT
University: www.itu.dk), you can for instance try plotting in the
address of the University on a Copenhagen Google map. The address is
"Rued Langgaardsvej 7, 2300 Copenhagen S" (or København S).

Geographically, the university is a little outside the city centre to
the right, on the Amager Island, which is connected to the central part
of Copenhagen with two bridges. It is right next to the "Københavns
Universitet Amager" and "Emil Holms Kanal", both locations currently
clearly visible on the Google map.
- Also, the university is conveniently located quite close to the
"Islands Brygge" and "DR" metro stations (blue "M"s on the map), so
hotels close to a metro station is always a good choice.

FACEBOOK GROUP FOR THE CONFERENCE
For those of you hanging out in there..., I have made a Facebook group
titled "Internet Research 9.0 conference".
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=23669370880. The group already has
267 members (!) and I try to disseminate news about the conference
through that as well. Through the group, you can now also sign up for
the Internet Research 9.0 conference event.

CONTACT
If you have any practical questoins regarding the conference, related to
travel, accommodation, venue, equipment, fees, Denmark etc, please do
not hesitate to contact the conference secretariat at <ir9conf at itu.dk>.
Either conference organiser Anna Sommer or I will then attend to your
inquiries.

I hope to see many of you in October :)

Liz Klastrup,
conference chair