[Air-L] digital literacy takes a field trip to a farm

Nicole B Ellison nellison at msu.edu
Mon Apr 28 07:06:42 PDT 2008

Hi,
I'd love to see more discussion of teaching on the list! I haven't done any
logging-off activities to date, although it's a great idea especially with a
population like undergrads in SF. The closest I've done:
1. Last spring I had my MA students keep a diary of their media use (which
medium, who communicated with, what about, etc.) and then write a short
paper analyzing the patterns that emerged. This was done as part of a
research project Caroline Haythornthwaite and Lori Kendall were (are?) doing
and they did a virtual "guest lecture" as well. Students enjoyed it although
complained it was too time-consuming.
2. In my large undergraduate class on the social impacts of new media, on
the first day I put the students into small groups and have them discuss
what media (including f2f) they would use to accomplish various tasks and
why. The tasks are things like: Lie to a professor about reason for missing
an exam, give bad news to a family member, apply to a job you found listed
on the net, etc. Then we debrief as a group: each group tells the class what
they would do and why, and I link it to research and theory (CMC and
otherwise) as a preview of the kinds of things we'll be learning about. (For
instance, with the deception case, they will probably bring up non-verbals
which of course lends itself to discussions of emoticons, SIP, deception and
technology, gender-bending etc etc.) This has worked very well for me -
students really get into it and it's a nice way to set the stage for the
class in terms of student participation and academic content.
Nicole