[Air-L] Second Life and Accessibility

Sue Cranmer sue at jcranmer.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 12:19:14 PDT 2008

Hello

I'm writing to ask how members of the list are supporting students with
disabilities when using online social worlds such as second life.  Whilst
there is a growing awareness that certain groups of disabled users enjoy
aspects of participating in online worlds which they are unable to carry out
in the so-called real world, such as wheelchair users being able to walk
etc, others are unable to participate at all.  For instance, screen readers
for blind and partially sighted users do not work within second life; nor do
speech input systems such as Dragon naturally speaking (which I use).  I
would be really interested to hear of list members experiences.

Best Wishes

Sue

This text was dictated using Speech Recognition software. Apologies for any
mistakes left uncorrected.

Checked by AVG.
10:48