[Air-L] digital literacy takes a field trip to a farm

Han-Teng Liao (OII) han-teng.liao at oii.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 29 05:22:36 PDT 2008

I would like to see the discussion goes beyond LOHAS life style.

What if we do not have enough power to drive cars and run web servers?
Peak Oil ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil ) seems to be another
social reality after Climate Change.  How do we allocate our limited
resources to sustain our information environment (Internet)?  Is
always-on a luxury or a must feature?

Between using Wi-Fi in cosmopolitan Starbucks and getting Internet
access for "Earthship Biotecture" http://www.earthship.co.uk/ ), are we
prepared to run Internet and personal computers in post-petro era?
What's the best option?