[Air-L] digital literacy takes a field trip to a farm

denisecarter at denisecarter.net denisecarter at denisecarter.net
Mon Apr 28 23:36:40 PDT 2008

Kim said<<<Let's also remember that looms, pens, and even language
itself are technologies, so when we say logging off, what exactly do
we mean?  Not sitting at a desk?  Not using ICT?  --I know this may
seem nit-picky, but I just want to be sure I'm thinking f the same
thing as others in the discussion when we talk about logging off, or
about technology.>>>

How fascinating don’t you think, that in this web2.0 wired, converged
and connected world that we are now beginning to understand (maybe),
that the phenomena of ‘logging off’ from ICTnow seems out of the
ordinary and worth studying!!

Well I for one am relieved, I can now reveal my secret vices:

-I love that end of the working day when I switch off my computer,
pour a glass of wine and ‘speak/logon’ to my husband.
-I hate students who email me on a Sunday afternoon and expect me to
reply asap even though I only work part-time!
-I like spending time alone in my greenhouse, and recently planted
cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers (I didn’t speak to them and they
didn’t speak to me but give it time
)
- sometimes I give myself an email-free day
-I take it personally when someone doesn’t text me back or answer
their mobile, especially when they always reply to messages received
when I am with them
-I log off most nights for about 7 hours sleep

Denise

Dr Denise M. Carter,
Lecturer in Sociology,
Dept. of Social Sciences