[Air-L] digital literacy takes a field trip to a farm

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 21:23:28 PDT 2008

Thanks David, for making sense of something that
seemed senseless to me at first.

LOGGING OFF

While I am well known (?) for my 'logging off life' in
that I participate monthly in the Lismore Spinners &
Weavers, Inc.  The conversation can range from the
usual discussion of wool, wool quality, wool sources,
and inevitably, sheep, as a couple of women also raise
their own sheep and alpaca.

It's not insanely domestic, as the Spinners' 'past
lives' include working on farms in South Africa,
former Rhodesia (before Zimbabwe), Uganda before Amin,
and one lady spent a year on Maui, Hawaii where she
learned Hawaiian style quilting. I tell my own stories
from American Samoa. We have presentations on
Indonesian batik (where one spinner lived for 6
years), tapa making (bark cloth) and many have friends
from Tonga, Samoa, New Zealand, and Latin America, and
pratise crafts relating directly to those areas. Also
travelers to India bring back textiles.

I COULD (and do) look at some craft sites on the
internet, but there's nothing like (as we say in
Australia) "getting your hands dirty"!

To me, that means learning something from someone else
that I didn't know before - OFFLINE.

Oops I guess I'm out of the closet . . . .

As far as students - well field trips where there is
no electricity are invaluable. We do them in Forestry
every year.

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD. Internationalisation Project Officer
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Office: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/
Presenter, Internet Research 9.0, 15-18 October 2008, Copenhagen, DK

www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail