[Air-L] digital literacy takes a field trip to a farm

Burcu Bakioglu bbakiogl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 08:20:07 PDT 2008

Sure Kevin,
Here's my syllabus, we have forums in the back end of this wiki too. I can
send you the info to get back if you like:
http://www.palefirer.com/C151/tiki-index.php

Though, I MUST say, the class was very enjoyable to teach, albeit hard work.
And I DID manage to change a lot of the misrepresentations that were in
their heads. And as much as they complained about it in the beginning, I
think they like it in the end. At least they Twittered it to be so, we'll
see the class evals.

Now granted, due to my personal research on griefers in virtual worlds, we
did take a look at some of the shady areas of the internet. One student
asked me an *award* winning question towards to end after a session on
griefers and their gross out activities. She asked "So what do you want us
to get out of this class?" I told her (and everyone else in the class) that
I don't want to make a believer out of anyone, but I want them to
*understand* the internet culture as a whole, so they won't be taken in by
the media bs that's being forced onto them. Technology is a wonderful thing,
but like everything else, it can be used for good and for bad. If they
dismiss it as exclusively bad and don't make any good uses out of it, then
others will abuse it and use it for exclusively bad purposes. After thinking
about my answer for about a minute, she said, that was a good answer. And I
replied, well that was a hell of a question. Possibly the deepest question
I've been asked by a student in my entire teaching career.

So, that's my story... Enjoyable journey, but challenging...

b.

--
Thanks,</burcu>

Burcu S. Bakioglu

Web Developer/Content Editor
Option Six
www.optionsix.com
Improving performance through e-learning

Ph.D. Candidate, Indiana University

http://www.palefirer.com
http://palefirer.com/blog/
Skype: PaleFireR