[Air-L] Announcement: workshop on art, new media & the hybrid spaces new media provoke

Niels Hendriks niels.hendriks at mda.khlim.be
Sat Apr 5 07:49:47 PDT 2008

Workshop on art, new media & the hybrid spaces new media provokes

06 + 07 May 2008 / @Z33, Hasselt, Belgium / Free, register at
http://www.spacecowboys.be

Our feeling of space and place changes and refreshes constantly through the
interaction and communication possibilities of new media. Locations and
environments may be altered from public to a private and from concrete to
virtual through for example mobile online instant messaging tools, virtual
worlds or online social networks. These hybrid spaces create emotional and
aesthetic possibilities for artists to experiment with. How do artists work
with hybrid space and how do they make us aware of the social and cultural
implications?

During two workshop days (06 + 07 May) we will think, talk and work around
four thematic issues:
•	local/global,
•	private/public,
•	narrative/creative
•	visible/invisible.

This workshop will be moderated by John Hopkins. Speakers & guests: Armin
Medosh, Anne Nigten, Jeanne van Heeswijk, Eric Kluitenberg, Kurt Vanhoutte,
Peter Westenberg, Maja Kuzmanovic and Pieter van Bogaert.

Via their work, presentations, controversial proposition,
 they will
‘trigger’ the conversation on the four workshop themes.

In our workshop we will use The Cowboy methodology. This method asks for an
active engagement of each participant starting from his/her own background
and using a medium of choice. Keywords for the methodology are: openness,
individual empowerment, transdisciplinarity, passion and engagement.

The findings, conclusions, new questions and other output of this workshop
will be brought together on the website www.spacecowboys.be and in a printed
publication.

Register at http://www.spacecowboys.be

Questions? info at spacecowboys.be