[Air-L] Fwd: Ofcom publishes extensive research into social networking sites

Anderson, Ben benander at essex.ac.uk
Wed Apr 2 08:03:44 PDT 2008

fyi - from the UK comms regulator:

"Several of the issues around the use of social networking sites are important from a media
literacy standpoint. Section 11 of the Communications Act 2003 requires Ofcom to promote
media literacy. We define media literacy as 'the ability to access, understand and create
communications in a variety of contexts'. In practice, this means that we are seeking to bring
about and encourage better public understanding and awareness of the digital media in use
today.
One element of Ofcom's Media Literacy Strategy is to provide a robust evidence base to
help define future priorities for Ofcom. Research helps us identify the issues, direct our
activity and inform progress towards achieving our goals. The purpose of this report is
therefore to provide evidence-based insights into the social networking phenomenon which
can be used to inform current understanding of usage and behaviour in the UK, and to help
identify some of the current and potential future issues around people's use of social
networking sites."

Begin forwarded message: