[Air-L] Google Docs

Ronald E. Rice rrice at comm.ucsb.edu
Mon Apr 28 00:37:54 PDT 2008

The question about accounts is a red herring.  You can set up a google docs
account without using a google email account.  Once you use the google email
account, it does offer you additional features, but that's when they can
track usage across all google activities.  You can allow access to a shared
set of google apps to other folks using non-google email accounts.

At least two of the other questions are more relevant.

Saving stuff on google servers DOES raise the issue of impermanence of
materials.  But this seemed to me to be MUCH more of an issue using a lot of
the (other, more formally) open source systems.  Either you have to store
stuff on much smaller organizations' servers, or you have to convince the
university to let you install and then maintain open source databases and
applications (not allowed where I am), or you have to get your own server
and then worry about maintaining and upgrading everything with either
vollunteer, your own, or help from students who move on frequently.

There are legal issues as to just what kinds of University-related financial
and legal things you can store on an outside server.  For instance, you can
get a free domain and access to a wider range of services (which we didn't
need) by registering as a educational institution, but that requires you to
sign a statement, or getting formal authorization, that you are a legal
representative of the educational institution (again, couldn't do that here
and wouldn't want to take on that responsibility even if it were allowed).
Or, for $10 per year, you can just purchase a domain through them, and if
you are lucky you can find one that exactly corresponds to your group name.
You can even upload your own logo to appear on the main Google apps page.

Finally, widgets are available through the Google Apps site that you can add
on to your set of apps.  A few of these are directly offered by Google, and
those conform to the Google privacy statement (for what that's worth).  Most
of the others, though, are not subject to Google's privacy policy, so I
don't use any of those.

So, some advantages, some benefits.
Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Chair in the Social Effects of Mass Communication
Co-Director, Carsey-Wolf Center for Film, Television, and New Media
President of the International Communication Association 2006-2007
Dept. of  Communication, 4840 Ellison Hall
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4020
Ph: 805-893-8696; Fax: 805-893-7102
rrice at comm.ucsb.edu