[Air-L] literature on advice seeking online?

Fernando Garrido fgarrido at cibersociedad.net
Wed Apr 2 04:32:38 PDT 2008

Hi Folks,

Yesterday, as every day, i rode the e-marketer news. I find an article
called "Hot Teen Trends" and, as a person that spent most of his time
trying to understand de teens behaviour, i rode carefully the article...
The problem is that this article talks about a reallity very diferent
from mine. What do you think about this? Did you feel / see this trend?

http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?id=1006093&src=article1_newsltr
---------------

  Hot Teen Trend: Hanging With Mom & Dad

APRIL 1, 2008

      Out: Texting and online gaming. In: Racko!

Connor Davis, 14, has a $4000 Alienware PC, a $600 PS3 and a $500
iPhone. He hasn't used any of them in months.

Like a growing number of teens across the US, he has abandoned his
technological toys to grab more time with his parents. Connor's favorite
activities now are family dinners and sedate card games.

"Mom goes bright red when she gets stuck with the Old Maid."

American teens are turning their backs not only on gadgets and Web
sites, but on sullen expressions and I'm-terrified-you-won't-notice-me
fashion. Instead, they are rebelling against their parents by not
rebelling.

Those who want to be part of the trend don't always find it easy. Young
Mr. Davis said he tried sit-down lectures and leaving notes around the
house to get his parents' attention, but nothing seemed to work. He even
tried friending them on MySpace.

"When they declined, that was the last straw. I was like, WTF?"

Savvy brand marketers are getting in on the trend. Nike recently
launched a microsite where teens can post videos of themselves following
their parents around.

However, in-demand parents may prove a tough "get" for traditional
promoters.

Nearly all teens surveyed in February 2008 by WTRW said they would
respond to a promotion involving "A Long Bus Ride With Your Parents."
Quality time with Mom and Dad was viewed as better than a new iPhone,
car or a date with pop idols.

The same pattern is emerging in the UK. But there, teens' demands are
unsettling many parents.

For one thing, most British parents work. In January 2008, 79% of
Britain's working-age men were employed, and more than 70% of women,
according to the Office of Notional Statistics. Many employers have
added several “Bring Your Child to Work” events, with youth groups
clamoring for even more.

Also, parents in the UK long ago adapted to the physical or mental
absence of their adolescent children, according to the Midlands-based
Moderately Authoritative Think Tank.

Sandra Wright of North London was amazed when her 15-year-old daughter
Hannah asked to watch TV with her one evening, offering to make popcorn.

Back in the US, however, the trend is giving hope to the travel and
energy industries. While commuting Americans are driving less to save
gas, family time should keep business humming.

"I'm thinking of cutting back the time I spend with friends so I can
join my parents on their vacation to Branson," said 17-year-old Austin
Smith.

Austin's advice for his few peers resisting the trend?

"Look, you're only young once. If you don't grab this time now, you'll
regret it when you're older.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have chores to do. Or as I like to call
them, 'opportunities.'"