[Air-L] Literature in Second Life

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 3 08:38:44 PDT 2008

A few references not directly associated with Second Life, but with the migration
from ftf to online education:

Research
Andrews, R. & Haythornthwaite, C. (Eds.) (2007). Handbook of E-Learning
Research. London: Sage.
-- includes chapter on CSCL, and on second language learning

Design
Barab, S. A., Kling, R. & Gray, J. H. (Eds.) (2004). Designing for virtual
communities in the service of learning. NY: Cambridge University Press.

CSCL
Koschmann, T. (Ed.)(1996) CSCL: Theory and Practice of an Emerging Paradigm.
Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

Other
Haythornthwaite, C. & Kazmer, M.M. (Eds.) (2004). Learning, Culture and
Community in Online Education: Research and Practice. NY: Peter Lang.

Steeples, Christine & Jones, Chris (2002). Networked Learning: Perspectives and
Issues. London: Springer.

Also look at the Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks (you only need to
register to see that articles)
http://www.sloan-c.org/publications/jaln/index.asp

/Caroline