[Air-L] Gender swapping in SL

Adam Davis adavis45 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 17:18:04 PDT 2008

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the references.  I also found a couple helpful articles in other issues of Cyberpsychology and Behavior while I was looking for the one you recommended, so it was doubly helpful.

Best,
Adam

Joshua Raclaw <Joshua.Raclaw at Colorado.EDU> wrote: Are you familiar with these two articles?  The Hussain and Griffiths article is probably most relevant to what you're interested in, though the Sundén may also be worth looking at.

Hussain, Z. and M. Griffiths.  (2008).  "Gender Swapping and Socializing in Cyberspace: An Exploratory Study."  Cyberpsychology and Behavior 11(1).  http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/cpb.2007.0020?cookieSet=1

Sundén, J.  (2002).   “I’m still not sure she’s a she”: Textual talk and typed bodies in online interaction.  In P. McIlvenny (Ed.).  Talking gender and sexuality (pp. 289-312).  Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

Joshua

Joshua Raclaw - PhD student
Department of Linguistics
Culture, Language & Social Practice