[Air-L] Coding websites

Philippa Smith philippa.smith at aut.ac.nz
Wed Apr 9 19:55:41 PDT 2008

Thank you to all who responded to my inquiry about classification/coding systems for websites.  The following is a summary of the replies which I hope will be of use to others.

Kind regards

Philippa
Institute of Culture, Discourse & Communication
AUT University
Auckland
NEW ZEALAND

Several people have undertaken web site and blog content coding using the
Coding Analysis Toolkit, or CAT:

http://www.qdap.pitt.edu/cat.htm

We are close to launching a beta test of a blog scraping tool that prepares
data automatically for intake to the CAT system.

~Stu

I think this is a good way of approaching this coding. It seems like
epistemology of the web.

I wonder if simply the URL is not enough. I would also suggest you
somehow base it on an existing XML schema or that such a schema be
developed for AoIR.

I wonder if there is some ISO standard?

Can not edu com org an country codes work in some way?  I use these
in my ability to assess web page quality for use in my studies.

I am not aware of a coding system for categorizing websites
**generally**, but there are several that have been used to code
various features of websites (e.g., interactive functions,
information provision, action features). You may wish to consult the
methodology chapter and appendix in the following book, and the
related publication website.

Nick Jankowski

Dougherty, M., & Foot, K. A. (2007). The Internet and Elections
Project research design. In Rl Kluver, N. W. Jankowski, K. A. Foot &
S. M. Schneider (eds.), The Internet and eational elections; A
comparative study of web campaigning, pp. 16-26. London: Routledge.
http://ipa.tamu.edu/projects/elections.asp

I noticed your post on air-l, and wanted to mention a coding scheme
that I and my coauthor developed for a 2005 article, http://
www.modinet.dk/pdf/antologier/InternetDemocracyModinet.pdf

Feel free to share it on list if you plan to collect and forward