[Air-L] digital literacy takes a field trip to a farm

Kimberly De Vries cuuixsilver at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 21:39:47 PDT 2008

Hi David and everyone,

I teach several graduate classes on rhetoric and composition theory and on
teaching english (more concretely focused) and in both classes we discuss
the impact of technology generally and how best to teach with it, about it,
or not.

I think one of the most important things to teach is something that
underlies all of our work--that we should not take technology for granted,
or treat it as neutral, or assume that we should use it just because it's
there.  We should think critically about it and so in my classes we use a
variety of ICTs and other kinds of tech and discuss what they help and what
they hinder.

I'm a heavy tech-user in my professional and personal life, but I don't
assume it's the best tool for everything and for some kinds of thinking or
learning or communicating, low or non- tech is better.

Let's also remember that looms, pens, and even language itself are
technologies, so when we say logging off, what exactly do we mean?  not
sitting at a desk?  Not using ICT?  --I know this may seem nit-picky, but I
just want to be sure I'm thinking f the same thing as others in the
discussion when we talk about logging off, or about technology.

Cheers,

Kim

ps, let's please not have any flames; it's almost the end of term here and I
am totally stressed already!  :-)

--
Kim De Vries

http://else-if-then.blogspot.com