[Air-L] Microsoft Social Networking Patent Application

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Mon Apr 28 22:41:34 PDT 2008

For those who haven't dealt with the patent office before, it might be
helpful to know that they often reach out to scholars to see if
unpublished or obscure work has been done in this space.  It's rare
that humanities and social science scholars witness this side of the
process, but it's extremely common in the sciences and engineering.
The research process involves bringing in scholars who might have an
interest.

Scholars are also typically very invested in finding prior art because
patents like these prevent development in certain areas.  For example,
such a patent would limit those interested in interactive
visualizations of network data.  As such, the patent office tends to
see collaboration with scholars as quite beneficial.  The patent
office does not claim to be an expert in all fields and this is why
they often reach out.

Like Alexis, I'm very excited to see this process become more
transparent.  I've been sending prior art to the patent office for
proposed patents for over 6 years.  It's often difficult to find
others in the field who know prior art, even though such brainstorming
would be super beneficial.  For example, when David posted about a
visualization project, I was reminded of the people in the
visualization community who worked in this space.  That's extremely
helpful.

For those who don't build technology, this who discussion might be
irrelevant.  But for those who do build systems, patent applications
are a big deal.  Of course, those of you who study STS might get a
kick out of it all the same.

Thanks to those who have contributed!

danah