[Air-L] digital literacy takes a field trip to a farm

Greg Wise Greg.Wise at asu.edu
Tue Apr 29 13:05:22 PDT 2008

I had emailed David privately about a regular assignment of mine and he
encouraged me to post the assignment here. It's about media more broadly
than just the internet, but raises interesting questions about defining
mass media (e.g., what aspects of the internet could be considered "mass
media"?), the role of mass media in our everyday lives, and so on.

This was originally assigned to my intro to mass media criticism
classes, though I have adapted a television specific version for my
classes in TV studies. I have yet to try an internet-specific version,
though.

The first part of the assignment is for them to keep a diary of every
encounter with the mass media throughout a week, describing the context
and event and reflecting on these. (for some reason students tend to
give me lists of ads that they've spotted throughout the week and often
ignore other content, like programs, songs, and so on)

The second part was called the NO MEDIA WEEK. For one week students are
to avoid the mass media (hence the connection to the "Logging Off"
thread). It is impossible in this society to do this completely, but for
that time students will not listen to the radio, CDs, cassettes, or any
other mass media; no TV, movies (in the theater or in DVD players), no
newspapers, magazines, or books unless specifically required for class
or work. Students are expected to make a good faith effort to abide by
these rules for these seven days; if a TV is on, move to another room,
same with a radio; have the person listening put on headphones. Do not
seek out the media and do not cheat. I will allow students to tape (or
DVR) their favorite shows if they cannot live without them, but they
can't be viewed until after the week is over.

Students then write up a diary reflecting on the week, the times they
couldn't avoid mass media, or the times they deliberately cheated.

This assignment usually leads to a good discussion of the role of
different media in our lives, the definition of mass media (e.g., the
internet is not off limits, but one has to be selective in one's uses),
and alternatives. I'm always surprised at the creative ways that
students find alternatives (going to see a live play or concert, getting
friends talking, playing games, and so on) and likewise surprised when
some students just can't think of any alternative to consuming the mass
media than sleeping.

Cheers,

Greg

Dr. J. Macgregor Wise