[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Thu Aug 21 08:10:24 PDT 2008

Fred:

I will be using both Facebook and Ning for my class because of the open
and closed nature of Facebook and the closed nature of Ning. What is
ironic is that technically speaking Facebook is a very closed network
and Ning is more democratic and open. We tend to think of Facebook as
open because of the amount of eyeballs but it is highly restrictive when
you run afoul of their rules which when you ask them to explain you get
vague answers. I had a celebrated run in with them because they disabled
my account and after I wrote a post on site (and worked through back
channels with some of my friends who have become real colleagues and
friends) my site was re-activated with all of my friends. I like Ning
because you can determine what gets in and out and there is less
advertising. Ning is Facebook before it was opened up to everyone and
before Microsoft got involved. Ironically, Mark Andreeson, a web pioneer
and created of Netscape, is one of the founders of Ning and he is now a
special advisor on Facebook's board, so I am not sure whether moving
your class to Ning will change anything in this age of media
consolidation. I spoke to Rafat Ali, CEO of paidContent, about his
recent sale for $30 million online for an interview, and he admitted
that the money changes things. I think it is safe to say that Facebook
and Ning will end up as strategic partners or Ning will get bought
outright by Microsoft or Facebook.
My big question is why don't you have students create pseudo accounts to
protect their identities. I use Facebook as a communications tool as
well as content distribution tool.

Chris