[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

Fred Stutzman fred at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Aug 21 12:02:24 PDT 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Heidelberg, Chris wrote:

> Fred:
>
> special advisor on Facebook's board, so I am not sure whether moving
> your class to Ning will change anything in this age of media
> consolidation. I spoke to Rafat Ali, CEO of paidContent, about his
> recent sale for $30 million online for an interview, and he admitted
> that the money changes things. I think it is safe to say that Facebook
> and Ning will end up as strategic partners or Ning will get bought
> outright by Microsoft or Facebook.
> My big question is why don't you have students create pseudo accounts to
> protect their identities. I use Facebook as a communications tool as
> well as content distribution tool.

Building on what Terrell has said - I'm not interested in asking/compelling
my students to break the rules of any site.  I'm interested in courseware -
not trying to make a political statement.

In my opinion, Facebook's groups are well-suited for reading discussions
(and not a whole lot more).  Facebook allows private groups, allowing us to
create a class-only board, one whose contents didn't creep into other
spaces in Facebook.

What I was unable to get away from was the multiple-contexts of Facebook.
The network, as opposed to affordances, creates a situation where students
are forced to mingle the social and academic identities.  I wanted to get
away from that - and Ning provides that space for now (but certainly not
forever).

-Fred