[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 49, Issue 22

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Fri Aug 22 12:40:58 PDT 2008

Good point! It may be interesting but many folks who sit on IRB's are
tragically behind the times on web 2.0 as collection tools. Most are
just getting on board and many still pine for the good old days of data
collection. Seriously, my chair sat on the IRB committee back in 2006
and of course she could not review mine but she was horrified that many
did not understand, like or favor data collection this way. I actually
turned in a 52 page IRB with a mini-lit review with actual primary
interviews leaders in the field and a huge list of references with
studies from the UK, corporate proprietary studies and government
studies that I had access to that most people would not have access to.

I would still say that not providing your full name is a violation of
TOS and it is established legal precedent in the world of entertainment
and literature to use pen names and on air names. These organizations
are now media and entertainment organizations hence the title social
networking. As soon as they began allowing video and audio they have
thrust themselves into public domain. I think providing a form of one's
whole name is sufficient and not deceptive at all when one is protecting
one's legal identity. I have been engaged in working with identity theft
and misleading advertising for close to 15 years now, and to committed a
serious crime online someone is going to have to prove intent to commit
the act that one is accused of along with their state of mind. If my
state of mind is to protect myself when no online company except one
(the crazy guy in the commercial with his SS number on the truck - great
ad but crazy for daring hackers) is guaranteeing that your identity is
safe. Not even the govt can do it or private companies after the
millions of folks who have had their personal data disclosed.

I think we will be seeing appeals and a Supreme Court case and if the
president is a dem which is a big if, I am confident that the
pro-corporate agenda will be rolled back. You know things like DMCA and
these danger TOS' that provide little protection for consumers who must
literally give their personal histories away for free and trust a bunch
of oligarchies to do the right thing when history (both past and
present) shows they cannot protect anyone online so a prudent person has
a duty to exercise due care and it is becoming increasingly more
difficult NOT to operate online because companies want to save money and
energy costs.