[Air-L] Basic intro/survey article on "what is new media?"

Lisa Gye lgye at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Sun Aug 24 15:19:46 PDT 2008

Check out Issue 10 of the Fibreculture Journal - devoted entirely to new media studies
New Media, Networks and New Pedagogies
http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue10/index.html

Cheers, Lisa

Lisa Gye
Postgraduate program leader
Media and Communications
Swinburne University of Technology
Building AS427
Tel: +613 92148345
http://www.lisagye.net
http://www.sportswithoutborders.net.au/
http://www.altx.com/ebooks/ulmer.html
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Dorothy Parker

>>> "Daren Carroll Brabham" <daren.brabham at utah.edu> 25/08/08 6:57 AM >>>
Hi everyone,

We have a freshman interest group course for aspiring communication majors in our department, and I've been asked to visit the class to give a very basic overview of new media studies.  The instructor for the course is asking me if I know of any good article or book chapter that could serve as that day's assigned reading.  Unfortunately, I know of only a few of these kinds of articles, and all of them are (by new media standards) old as heck:  2003 and earlier.  Does anyone know of a very recent article or book chapter they could point me to that provides an overview of new media studies, a "state of the research" article, or something that begins to answer in broad terms "What is new media studies?"  ...or even a good online resource...?

Thanks!

db

---
Daren C. Brabham