[Air-L] Online Research Methods Texts

Angela Lee easyicedlatte at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 01:13:56 PDT 2008

Hi Alecea,

Here are some of the readings that I used in my most recent study on online
fanfic community that may be of interest to you:

Bakardjieva, M. & Feenberg, A. (2001). "Involving the virtual subject."
Ethics and Information Technology. 2(4): 233- 240.

Baym, N. (1999). Tune in, Log on: Soaps, Fandom and Online Community.
Thousand Oaks, London, New Delhi: SAGE.

Glaser, B. G., & Strauss, A. (1967). The Discovery of Grounded Theory:
Strategies for Qualitative Research. New Jersey: Aldine Transaction.

Gray, J., Sandvoss, C.,  & Harrington, C. L. (Eds.). (2007). Fandom:
Identities and communities in a mediated world.  New York: New York
University Press.

Hellenkson, K. & Busse, K. (Eds.). (2006). Fan Fiction and Fan Communities
In The Age of the Internet. North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc.

Jenkins, H. (1992b). 'Strangers no more, we sing': Filking and the social
construction of the science fiction fan community. In L. Lewis (Ed.),
Adoring Audience: Fan Culture and Popular media. New York: Routledge.

Prandstaller, F. 2003. "Virtual proximity: Creating connection in an online
fan community." Gnovis: 27(1).

Smith, M. J. (1999). Strands in the Web: Community building strategies in
online fanzines. Journal of Popular Culture. 33(2): 87-99.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to reading your final list as well. :)

Angela

--
Angela Lee
Ph.D. Student