[Air-L] Accommodations in Copenhagen

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Wed Aug 20 06:01:21 PDT 2008

Exellent info. Just one small correction--the Metro is at Kongens
Nytov, not Kongens Nyhavn, though Kongens Nytorv is abuts one end of
Nyhavn.
--Christian

On Aug 19, 2008, at 11:28 PM, Charles Ess wrote:

> [...]
>> getting
>> cabs, in general or after the public transport closes?
>
> To reiterate, public transport in Copenhagen is marvelous - the
> metro, to
> begin with, is like something out of Star Trek; for an English page
> <http://intl.m.dk/>
>> The Metro runs daily between 5 am and 12 pm. Thursday, Friday, and
>> during the
>> weekend, the Metro also runs all night.
> Tickets can be purchased with credit card / cash at the station; I'd
> recommend you pick up a 2-zone "Klipperkort" - it can be stamped
> (clipped)
> for each ride in the little yellow machines both at the top of the
> escalators / stairways and on the platform; more convenient and less
> expensive than buying a ticket for each ride -
> and the Klipperkort can be used for the buses as well. Buses are
> clean,
> quite, and frequent.
> <http://www.visitcopenhagen.dk/turist/rejseplanlaegning/transport_i_koebenha
> vn/bus> (In Danish)
> Night buses run from 1:00 - 5:00 a.m.
>
> The page noted above includes a link to the travel planning service
> ("Reiseplanen" / Need help finding your way around Copenhagen?) on
> the right
> side of the page: this will let you input starting addresses and
> destinations, and give you possible routes with both metro and bus.
> I haven't checked out the locations of all the hotels - but in the
> case of
> the Maritime and the Opera, it's a 5-10 minute walk to the Metro
> station
> (Kongens Nyhavn) and from there - take line 1 (Green line), direction
> Vestamager; get off at the second stop - Islands Brygge - and from
> there
> it's ca. 7-10 minutes to ITU.
> There will be a map or two to help facilitate the walk from Islands
> Brygge
> to ITU on the website - but if you feel like playing -
> go to the Reiseplanen link:
>
> http://www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/query.exe/en?
>
> In "From:" put in: Islands Brygge st (Metro)
> In "To": put in: Rued Langgaards Vej 7
>
> choose any date and you'll get a schedule.  Each possible itinerary
> includes
> a link titled "Show journey on map."  Click, et voila! you'll have a
> sense
> of the walk.
>
> In my experience, it's best to call / reserve a cab.  There are
> several
> companies - perhaps our hosts have specific recommendations?
>
> Hope this helps some - let me know if there are any additional
> questions,
> concerns, etc.  And welcome to wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen!
>
> - charles ess
>

>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Christian Nelson <xianknelson at mac.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>> For Danish-only sites, I recommend you try to use Google's
>>> www.translate.google.com. It does a pretty good job of translating
>>> simple
>>> text. In addition, for those of you not used to decent public