[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

E. Ashley Hall ehall at odu.edu
Thu Aug 21 18:53:46 PDT 2008

How about asking the students to go out and find people who fit the
demographic profiles you are interested in researching instead of asking
them to change their own profiles.

First you would have to find out if those people already have Facebook
accounts.  If so, you could ask the students to interview those people about
the ads they receive, have them collect the data and analyze it.  If they
don't already have accounts, the students could ask them to sign up for one
to help them with their class assignment and then do the same thing with the
data.  It would also be interesting to ask the people to report the content
of the ads before explaining to them the basis of the project in targeted
advertising and then ask them:

   1. if they are aware that the ads are targeted based on demographic
   information (? and keywords from their profile/messages/wall?)
   2. if the targeted ads are more effective than the "one-size-fits-all"
   advertising that is so prevalent in mass media like television and
   newspapers
   3. if they've ever acted on a facebook ad (i.e. even if the ads are more
   relevant because of the targeting, are they effective, or do users tune them
   out as noise on the page?)

Hope this helps.